Sunday, October 4, 2009

Triathlon Fun

I did it, I finished my first sprint triathlon! I say first because I'm hoping it's not my last. Overall, the whole experience was really cool. I had so much fun training, and I learned a lot of new things. I have to give a BIG thanks to Kara for helping me. She is the greatest training partner ever!!

The race started out with a 75-meter swim. It was changed at the last minute, literally, from a 750-meter open water swim. I was so disappointed. After months of preparing to take on the lake, I felt like I could do it. I'm determined to someday do an open water swim during a competition. After the swim, I ran 1-mile back to the transition area. From there I completed a 13-mile bike ride. Had it not been for the generosity and shear luck of having another stranded biker in the right place at the right time, I would have probably been out here. My stupid bike chain came off, and I have NO idea how to put it back on. I can now see how necessary it will be to know how to put on a chain and change a tire for my next ride. A few minutes after it came off, a lady with a flat tire came by and helped me put it back on.... what a relief!! The bike ride had a grueling climb that had my buns and thighs on fire. Good thing I had Paul, Jaime, and the dogs half way through the bike ride to cheer me on. After the bike, I did a 5k run. I think the run was the hardest part for me. My mind was playing with me, and I really wanted to stop and walk. Crossing the finish line made it all worth the hard work!!


It was such a great journey from beginning to end. Here are some of the new things I experienced:
  • Swimming Laps
  • Treading Water in a Lake for a Long Time
  • Wearing a Swim Cap
  • Wearing a Wet Suit
  • Getting/Ridding a Road Bike
  • Falling on my Road Bike with my Feet Still Clipped In
  • Using Yankz Shoe Laces
  • Riding a Bike on the "Monstrous" Bacchus Highway
  • Writing Numbers on my Arms and Legs with a Permanent Marker
  • Wearing a Timing Chip
  • Running while Drenched with Water

Here I am riding my bike
I don't have many pictures because my
camera battery died



I finished in 1 hour 32 minutes!!




Murray Youth & Family Triathlon
September 7th


Kara and I also participated in the Murray "Mini" Triathlon. We mainly did it to get some experience under our belts before our big day at Daybreak. The race was a 75-yard swim, 6-mile bike ride, and 1-mile run. Some of you may have noticed the ugly, scabby wound I have on my knee. I got this beauty at the Murry Mini. Between hurrying and not being able to see very clearly out of my goggles, my foot caught the edge of the pool and I ate cement. I don't recommend tripping in your swimming suit in public.


Ready to Rock!


Swimming


Biking


Running


Finished!!


My Battle Wounds



No comments: